Home inspections provide the Buyer an objective and realistic evaluation of the property's condition.
In Tennessee and Virginia, home inspections are not required, yet your Town & Country Realtor® will strongly encourage you to get your home inspected. A general home inspection will cost around $250 to $350 and take a few hours. When a home inspector evaluatesthe property it will be negotiated in the contract that you have the right to terminate it for any reason. Buyers have the opportunity to resolve any property condition issues with the seller or to terminate the contract if a solution cannot be negotiated.
Items to Remember:
- Buyers should attend the inspection to make sure items are not overlooked. Town & Country Realtors® do not attend unless specifically asked by the buyers to attend.
- Inspectors check the condition of the home at the time of inspection. They do not guarantee any condition beyond that point.
- New homes need and should be inspected.
- Special features on a home may not be included in the inspection such as swimming pools, in-ground sprinklers, out buildings, etc. unless it is specifically included in your agreement with the inspector.
- Other inspections may be recommended by the general inspector or your Town & Country Realtor® such as plumbing, heating/air conditioning, roof, structural, environmental, radon, etc. Your Town & Country Realtor® will provide you with a list of licensed inspectors to meet your needs.
- Inspectors should not recommend or bid on repair work; this is a conflict of interest.
A General Inspector will:
- Describe what they are checking.
- Show you where to shut off the water or light a furnace, etc.
- Give you a report in writing, typically with photographs.
General Property Inspectors are regulated by the Tennessee and Virginia Real Estate Commission, so hire a licensed/verified inspector.
Questions to Ask:
- How long have you been performing inspections?
- Do you have Error and Omissions insurance?
- Will you give me a written and signed report?
- Do you give a guarantee?
- Will you provide references from previous home buyers?
For further information please contact us